Everyone loves tarts, right? Especially when they involve tomatoes, pesto, and gooey melted mozzarella. Plus, this one has a little extra: the base is store bought puff pastry! This means that it only takes 5 minutes to assemble, 15 minutes in the oven, and 2 seconds to eat! It’s so easy there’s really no excuse to not give it a try next time you have guests over.
This is something that my mum has made hundreds of times for guests. It’s perfect in the summer when you have guests over. Especially if you’re serving the tart at a picnic or barbecue! Plus, it’ll help to use up all those excess tomatoes from the garden. You could even make your own pesto if you have a basil plant, although that would take a little extra time.
Sadly, I couldn’t try this recipe as I can’t eat tomatoes! I didn’t need to eat it to watch my mum devour her slice in under 2 minutes though – I think that’s all the confirmation you need that this is good! You can’t really go wrong with this classic combo of ingredients anyway – it’s on pizza, in pasta, and really everywhere now – there’s even basil, tomatoes and mozzarella in this salad that my mum also adores!
We did have a couple of problems when we made this. Namely, the two kittens. They kept climbing on the table while it was cooking and when I tried to photograph it! Sapphy almost managed to sneak a bite, and looked rather upset when we exiled her to the floor just in time! Catalina was very interested too, although we aren’t too sure what they’d think of the tomatoes. They definitely love cheese though – Sapphire already tried some last time I made this fresh herb risotto even though it was parmesan! I’m glad I raise cats to have such good taste in cheese.
As usual, this recipe is super customisable. You could try using filo pastry instead of puff. Or, if you prefer red pesto then use that instead of green! The tomatoes are the obvious thing to swap: any type will do! However, you may need a lot more if you like smaller ones. We only use plum because they’re my mum’s favourite, but cherry or beefsteak, or really any tomatoes work well!
Tomato, Pesto & Mozzarella Tart
- 1 ready rolled puff pastry
- 3 heaped tbsp green pesto
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 1 125g ball mozzarella
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180° C and grease a flat baking sheet.
- Carefully unroll the pastry on to the sheet and trim off the excess.
- Leaving a 1″ border, spread the pesto over the pastry evenly.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and place them slightly overlapping in rows over the pesto.
- Top with slices of mozzarella and sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the top to season.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is cooked through. Serve immediately. Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat gently in the oven.