So basically, in my family, we love halloumi. Especially fried and dipped in sweet chilli sauce, and I highly recommend you try it that way. However, it’s also perfect for vegetarian meals. After all, it goes great with most Mediterranean ingredients and veggies, and it tastes just divine!
This quinoa bowl only serves one. If you’d like to feed more people, or you’re doing your weekly meal prep then just multiply it up to make as many portions as you need! It’s super simple, and who doesn’t need more recipes to make for single serve meals? It’s so hard to think of anything other than pasta that’s decently easy to make for just yourself!
Plus, it’s basically healthy comfort food, I mean: roasted veggies, squeaky halloumi cheese, and rich lemon-garlic yogurt? Sign me up! Not that I can eat these veggies, but still I know that if I could then it would be super delicious! Plus my mum is my official taste tester and she certainly enjoyed it. She isn’t even a big fan of quinoa, and yet she almost polished the bowl! The only reason she didn’t was that she was full, so I’d say thats a good success.
These quinoa bowls also look absolutely stunning when presented neatly. The colours of the vegetables are so vibrant, and the lemon-garlic yogurt compliments them so nicely! Plus, if you use a mix of red and white quinoa, there’s even more colour! The pops of green herbs just finish it all off to look incredible. Before this dish, I’d definitely never tried too hard to plate anything neatly but it absolutely makes the food taste better – everyone prefers pretty food!
You mustn’t forget too that the sheer numbers of veggies combined with the quinoa as choice of grain makes this a pretty healthy meal choice, too. After all, you have peppers, tomatoes, onion, courgette, aubergine, and black olives. I’d say that’s a pretty good meal, even if the portions of each are relatively small.
Subscribe by email or check back next week for a recipe that’s essentially the lunchtime version of this! You could even eat both in the same day if you really love your halloumi and veggies. After all, who am I to judge?
Tag me on twitter if you try this quinoa bowl, I’d love to see how it turns out for you!
Roasted Veggie & Halloumi Quinoa Bowl
For the roasted veggies:
- 1 small red onion
- 1 1cm slice aubergine
- 1/4 yellow pepper
- 1/4 red pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to season
- 8 baby plum tomatoes
For the rest of the bowl:
- 2 slices halloumi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 portion instant quinoa
- 8 black olives halved
- 1 sprig dill stripped from stem
- 1 sprig parsley leaves only
For the garlic-lemon yogurt:
- 3 tsp plain yogurt
- 1/2 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Halve onion and slice in to thick wedges. Slice aubergine in to cubes, courgette in to sticks, peppers in to strips and toss with oil, seasoning, garlic and chilli flakes. Place on a baking tray.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then add tomatoes, toss to ensure they are coated in oil, and then replace in oven for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat a frying pan with the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add halloumi slices and cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Prepare instant quinoa per packet instructions. Mix all ingredients for garlic-lemon yogurt together.
- To serve, add quinoa to bowl and top with the roasted veggies, halloumi, olives and herb leaves. Drizzle over yogurt or place on the side of the bowl Serve immediately or follow recipe notes to reheat later.
For a single-serving dessert, try my chocolate chip cookie for one – it’s eggless too!