This roasted feta salad with peppers and tomatoes is absolutely delicious! There’s plenty of olive oil, garlic, herbs and some chilli flakes to add plenty of flavour, and the soft feta makes it perfect for serving in a pitta or sandwich!
The original version of this recipe was actually originally my mum’s. She’s served it at small-ish family barbecues and gatherings for years and years now! However, she hasn’t made it recently. In fact, I only discovered it when we were looking through her recipe scrapbook for inspiration.
It’s such a pretty and colourful recipe that I couldn’t believe we’d never made it together! After all, if there’s one thing I’m known for (apart from halloumi and risotto), it’s using an ample amount of garlic and herbs in my recipes!
She likes to serve this roasted feta salad as a little starter with pitta strips to get people nibbling before the main dishes are ready. After all, it’s so quick and easy to make! I figured that if it’s good with pitta strips then it must be good in a sandwich. It turns out I was right! The olive oil, garlic and herbs all soak into the bread to give it plenty of moisture even without any butter!
You could, of course, just eat it with a spoon (I won’t judge!). Nice crusty bread is always good, too! Or, for a super garlic-y meal, try serving it over this simple garlic and basil pasta – they’re a perfect fit for each other!
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, split
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and split
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp chilli flakes
- 200 grams (7 oz) feta, cut into small cubes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F). Add the vegetables, half of the oil, half of the garlic and the salt and pepper to a baking dish and stir to combine and coat. Spread into an even layer and bake for 5 minutes.
- Top with feta cubes and the rest of the olive oil and garlic as well as the herbs and chilli flakes.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the feta is lightly golden. Serve immediately.
- in sandwiches, wraps or pittas
- with a simple pasta dish like this
- with nice crusty bread
This salad can be reheated. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To reheat, either microwave it or place it in the oven and heat through until piping hot. Do not reheat it more than once.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1/2 batch
Amount Per Serving Calories 460Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 89mgSodium 1075mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 3gSugar 13gProtein 17g
All nutrition information is an estimate and may vary.
If you’re looking for more salad recipes, try these:
Or, for more cheesy Mediterranean recipes, try these:
For more quick, easy & cheap recipes for one or two people, make sure you get your free ebook here. Enjoy!
Post linked to #cookblogshare