This easy Italian toast with tomatoes and basil is a perfect quick and easy lunch for one. It takes only 10 minutes and 5 ingredients to put together – perfect for weekends or even as a light weeknight dinner!
This recipe was originally inspired by my chilli cheese on toast which went down an absolute treat! Both are delicious, cheesy and super quick – but I have to say that the basil in the Italian toast really took it over the top!
If you don’t have fresh basil then a sprinkle of dried is still good, although you could also substitute fresh thyme, oregano or parsley if you have those instead. In fact, there are so many ways you could change up this recipe to suit your own tastes!
Try some of these for a little variation:
- use a mixture of different cheeses – perhaps a little sprinkle of parmesan?
- add a small clove of garlic (minced) to the butter you use on the bread – or even use roasted garlic!
- change up the bread you use – try some olive ciabatta or herby focaccia!
- use marinated or green olives for an extra boost of flavour
- use sundried tomatoes
- spread pesto or tomato puree (maybe even sundried tomato puree!) over the bread under the tomatoes
The best part about this Italian toast is that it’s so quick and you probably already have most (if not all) of the ingredients. If you’re looking for more quick Italian lunches for one then try some of these:
- microwave pesto pasta with peppers
- microwave risotto with fresh herbs
- simple garlic basil pasta
- light olive oil spaghetti with tomatoes and zucchini
Italian Toast with Tomatoes & Basil
- 2 slices white bread good quality
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 125g ball mozzarella cut into slices
- 2 vine tomatoes sliced
- 3 black olives halved
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 sprig basil (leaves only) optional
- Spread the butter over the bread. Top with slices of mozzarella, tomatoes and olives. Sprinkle over salt and pepper to taste.
- Broil/grill until cheese is melted and the edges of the bread are golden-brown. Top with basil leaves and serve.
See – easy! This recipe is perfect for college students or anyone living alone. No leftovers, minimal time taken up cooking. And best of all, no real washing up! Enjoy!