Another week, another halloumi recipe! This grilled halloumi salad is super quick, easy and absolutely delicious. Cook time depends on the size of your grill or grill pan, but it isn’t too much work either way! There are so many veggies in here that it’s an absolutely beautiful dish too – perfect for a slightly fancier lunch or even a date-night side dish.
Honestly, you can use whichever veggies take your fancy here. I used sweet peppers, asparagus, garlic scapes and other Spring/Summer veggies. However, you could try it out with almost anything – providing it’s possible to grill it! Tenderstem broccoli, for example, would be a super delicious addition, but we didn’t have any – hence it’s absence in this salad!
What are garlic scapes?
Garlic scapes are the curly stem-like bits that grow out the top of garlic bulbs. And yes, they’re delicious! They taste almost similar to spring onions, but with a slightly different texture.
If you don’t have garlic scapes, however, then you can simply omit them, use red onion wedges, or use spring onions – it’s up to you!
That’s the really great thing about this grilled salad recipe (other than the fact it involves halloumi) – you can use whatever you have on hand!
How should I serve this grilled halloumi salad?
I chose to leave it as a salad and serve it with lettuce. However, it would also be incredible with plain basmati rice or pasta. It’s so versatile that you can turn it into a super healthy veggie-friendly dinner!
If you do want to leave it as a simple salad, then I recommend having some side dishes to go with it. Try any combo of these:
- cheesy garlic butter pinwheels
- foolproof fresh herb risotto (or the single-serving microwave version)
- homemade focaccia dipped in olive oil
- even just some toasted baguette slices (or cold ones with butter)
Really, it’s so delicious that any sides should be kept pretty simple – this salad can speak for itself!
Grilled Halloumi Salad
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 small sweet peppers cut into thirds
- 1 small courgette/zucchini cut into 2" long sticks
- 5 spears asparagus
- 15 sugar snap peas
- 5 garlic scapes cut into 1-2" lengths
- 250 g halloumi sliced
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 1 heart romaine lettuce
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 lemon zested
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the grill/grill pan to high heat and brush with a small amount of oil.
- Once hot, begin to grill the veggies in order, brushing the grill/pan with extra oil as needed.
- The courgette/zucchini, peppers and asparagus will all take around 3 minutes per side on medium-high heat.
- The garlic scapes and sugar snap peas take around 30 seconds to char on medium-high heat.
- The halloumi takes around 3-5 minutes per side on medium heat (or until golden)
- The tomatoes take around 3 minutes to char over medium heat
- Add all components to a bowl and toss gently together, seasoning with salt and pepper as needed and adding a little lemon juice to taste.
Don’t forget to grab your copy of my free ebook if you’re looking for more cheap and easy recipes for one or two people!
Or, if you’re looking for more halloumi recipes then try any one of these:
- one-pot halloumi bake
- crispy sweet chilli halloumi noodles
- chargrilled veggie & halloumi wrap
- roasted veggie & halloumi quinoa bowl
Or, if you fancy another easy salad then try this vegan Mediterranean cucumber salad – it’s delicious!
Post linked to #cookblogshare