Everybody loves cheese on toast, right? It’s warm and gooey and cheesy and delicious – everything you could want. The only downside is that perhaps as an adult it isn’t the most classy meal (or the most healthy!). Well, I’ve found a way to fix that while somehow making it even more delicious! My chilli cheese on toast still only takes 10 minutes, and is packed full of flavour from red and green bell peppers, chilli peppers, and spring onions. Top it all of with a generous amount of mature cheddar, and there’s your perfect lunch for one!
First, you just lightly fry the veggies in butter to soften them slightly. This only takes a couple of minutes, so don’t worry! Then, you just have to spread them over 2 slices of bread and top it all with your grated cheese. Place them under the grill (broil them, for US people) until the cheese is melty and golden, and voila – delicious and classy 10 minute lunch!
Believe it or not, the first time that I made these, i barely had time to photograph them before my mum ate them. She usually doesn’t eat large portions either, but she ate almost the entire 2 slices! If anything’s a testament to how good these are, then it’s that! It’s probably one of her favourite meals that I’ve made so far for this blog too. After all, you can really never go wrong with strong cheese, bell peppers, and a touch of spice!
Personally, I find that having several of these type of 10-minute meal recipes on-hand is a great idea. After all, you don’t always have much time or energy, but you still need to eat! That’s why I’m considering doing a series of these recipes that all make delicious lunches or small-ish dinners. What do you think? Do you need more ideas for quick and easy recipes (usually single-servings too!)? Let me know on twitter or facebook! Or, get inspired by my pinterest board for recipes that only make one portion!
Chilli Cheese on Toast
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 chilli pepper finely chopped, red or green
- 1/4 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/4 green bell pepper finely diced
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- 80 grams mature cheddar grated
- 2 slices bread
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the chilli, peppers and spring onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Top the bread with half the cheese, then spoon the veggies on top, and top with another layer of cheese. Place under the grill/broil until the cheese is melted and slightly golden. Serve immediately.
If you’re looking for more single-serve recipes like this chilli cheese on toast, try this roasted veggie & halloumi quinoa bowl – it’s super healthy, vegetarian, and still has cheese in the form of halloumi! If you’re looking for more lunch recipes, try these chargrilled veggie & halloumi wraps – the recipe makes 2 wraps, but you can always save one to reheat and eat later or simply halve the recipe to only make one. Of course, you could also just eat both – I won’t tell!