Everybody loves garlic bread, right? Especially that ooey-gooey melty cheese on top. The only problem is that often, most of the actual flavour is in the cheese! I certainly know I’ve had too many pieces of dull, plain, dry garlic bread with too-little cheese. Plus, store-bought garlic bread takes wayyyyy too long to cook. After all, when you need garlic bread, you need it now.
I don’t actually remember what exactly made us start making this a few years ago, but since then it’s become a favourite of ours. We started with a basic garlic butter – just minced garlic and butter. Then, we started to add some dried Italian herb blend. But it still wasn’t good enough. Enter the ultimate garlic butter with some dried herbs, plenty of fresh basil and enough garlic to scare away a vampire army. What can I say, garlic is good!
We just spread a generous amount on whatever bread we have – fancy white bloomer loaves are amazing with this, but regular pre-sliced white loaves are still good too. Note that the bread is already slightly toasted here. Then place it under the grill (or for Americans, broil it). Once it starts to melt, top with your favourite cheese and grill some more! For me, this is always fresh ball mozzarella, but cheddar or any other melty cheese will work.
You can eat this with everything. No kidding, I’ve had this as a meal, with pasta, pizza, chicken nuggets, macaroni cheese, fish, burgers, and just about every other food I eat. Or just as a snack. Basically it’s delicious and once you start eating it you won’t ever want to stop.
Of course, as usual this recipe is super customisable. If you like less garlic, try one clove. Or you could try roasted garlic, which has a much milder flavour. You could use only dried, or only fresh herbs. You could even omit the cheese if you’re a rare cheese-hater like my sister. One thing I will stick to is that it’s always best on white bread. I’m sorry but there’s a reason you can’t buy wholegrain garlic bread. It just simply isn’t as good.
- 75 grams (3/4 stick) butter
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig basil, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to season
- 4 slices white bread
- 1x 210 gram ball mozzarella, thinly sliced
- With a fork, whisk butter with the dried herbs and garlic until slightly fluffy and evenly distributed.
- Add the chopped basil and mix gently so as not to crush or bruise it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the plain bread under the grill (broil) for 1 minute on each side until slightly dry but not coloured.
- Spread a generous amount of garlic butter on each slice of bread and grill until melted.
- Top with slices of mozzarella and place under the grill until melted and slightly golden. Serve immediately.
Garlic butter keeps in the fridge for 3-5 days covered with clingfilm.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 378Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 82mgSodium 676mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 15g
All nutrition information is an estimate and may vary.