It’s finally time for another sweet recipe, and wow were these black forest brownies worth the wait! They’re rich, fudgy and full of dark chocolate chunks – not to mention cherries!
Yes, these brownies do come together completely in one bowl! I love one-bowl baking recipes like this since saving washing up is always a priority in our house. After all, not everyone has a dishwasher!
I do actually have a few other one-bowl recipes. For example:
- Strawberry & white chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate cream cheese frosting
- single-serving brownie in a jar (what can I say, I like brownies!)
- single-serving chocolate chip cookie
- Terry’s chocolate orange cupcakes
- chewy cinnamon & white chocolate blondies
In these brownies, I do use one ingredient that may not exist for all of you outside the UK: a can of red cherry pie filling. We couldn’t actually find a can of cherries, so I decided to try this! The jelly-like part of the pie filling can be discarded, but leave on the part coating the cherries – it helps to flavour the rest of the brownie mix slightly.
Now, these black forest brownies are super rich. I’m not going to lie, they were a little too dark for me. However, the certified dark chocolate fanatics in our family found them about right. If you’re worried about them being too rich then you can reduce the cocoa powder by 10g (replace it with extra flour), use regular milk chocolate chips, and serve the brownies with ice cream.
In fact, no matter how much you love dark chocolate these are best eaten with ice cream. Regular cream works too, of course (but ice cream is always best!). If you go for this then aim to serve them while they’re still warm from the oven. If this isn’t an option then reheating them gently in the oven or microwave works pretty well instead!
Really, I’d say that these brownies are great any time of year. However, since we’re starting to head into Autumn and they’re best served warm, they are possibly more of a cold-weather treat!
One Bowl Black Forest Brownies
- 115 grams butter melted
- 215 grams dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 grams plain flour
- 30 grams cocoa powder
- 150 grams dark chocolate chunks
- 1 410g tin red cherry fruit pie filling drained*
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line an 8×8 inch baking tin with parchment paper.
- Add the melted butter to a large bowl and whisk in the sugar until smooth and thoroughly mixed. Add the egg and vanilla and whisk gently until smooth and glossy.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder and whisk them in until just evenly combined. Add the dark chocolate chunks and drained cherry filling. Fold them in gently.
- Add the mix to the tin and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through but still fudgy in the middle. Leave to cool inside the tray.